Thursday, February 28, 2013

Other Creative Outlets

I figured I would share some of the other things I dabble in.  Well photography is my main interest, there are so many other art genres that I enjoy experimenting in or creating.  I've experimenting in jewelry making, watercolors, sewing, quilting, drawing, origami, graphic design, ceramics and much more.   

Jewelry
Here is a ring I made completely from scratch.  I cut and fused the glass pieces together to form what you see above.  Next I cut out a brass design and etched into the brass.  Last I oxidized the brass for an older look.





I absolutely adore this armband that I made!   I wish I could wear it more but I'm afraid people will say or think it is a weapon.  Considering I am a substitute that is not something I want people to worry about!  I made this from scratch again, not the stone though.  It's inspired by the ancient Egyptian.  I wanted it to look like a scarab.  It is made out of brass and copper.  

Sewing


I found a scarf like this on pinterest and decided to create it for a Christmas present for my best friend.  Needless to say I really like the scarf and made my own!  I know this is not the best picture, the scarf is blown out.


Watercolor



I made this birthday card for my mother for her birthday!  This was a lot of fun, but very tedious to cut out all the individual pieces.  Watercolor is fun to work with once you get used to them.


Ceramics


Below is a coffee cup I made for student teaching at a high school.  I taught the students about sagraffito (carving into non-fired dired clay).  I used red and white clay.

I had to be carefully not to break it well carving!  Of course, the handle got broken off and I thought it was repaired, but apparently it was still weak.  It ended up getting broken by a student when they held it by the handle.  The students were so upset, it was cute.  I did not blame them!  It was my fault it broke the first time which resulted in it getting broken the second.  Plus, its not like I would actually use the cup!  I wrote in Egyptian  hieroglyphics and recreated my tattoo or tried to with underglaze (its the design in the middle of the cup). 



This is from high school! I loved experimenting with layering the glazes, which is how I got that bubbling look with the blue glaze on the outside.


Graphic Design




I designed this for a grad school class at Kutztown University.  It was for a dinner party.  I could invite anyone I wanted to discuss art education about over dinner.  I chose my grandmother that died when I was two years old.  She used to make quilts.  I wish she was still alive to teach me today.  

*Disclaimer* The flower design is paintbrush I got off the internet.  







I made these for my cousin to use for invites at her wedding.  For obviously reasons I blurred out the time and date.  



ANNND....my logo!


Quilting


I made this awesome quilt for my best friend, Nikita, hence the N design.  I added her initials on the bottom of the quilt, which ironically are N.A.P.  This is a lap quilt.  I did this completely from scratch.  



I made this even awesomer (I know, awesomer is not a word) quilt for my brother for his birthday and Christmas.  I made this one from a pattern, but I still made it from scratch.  It took forever to make! Thank goodness I had time off to finish it in time.





Below are pillows and letter I made for a V-day photo shoot.



Drawings


Here are some quick sketches I made from my journal.  One is a bracelet I bought from a museum in D.C. and the other is a flower clip I made from a foamy clay.  I can't remember what is was anymore.





I feel it is so much fun to experiment in art and try different things.  It is a great learning experience and a ton of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment